PLEASE DON'T LET THIS CHASE BE LIKE THE NEXT!!! STRING OF GARBAGE!!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

4-24 Thornton to New Providence, IA



Gustnado near Garden City

Started the day targeting North Central Iowa. I left Ames at 3:30 thinking that I wold have plenty of time to get to my target before the cap broke. As I headed north on I35 I could already see towers going up at around 4 and realized that things were going to go earlier than expected.
Stopped at the Thornton exit to set up shop and ran into Illinois chaser Travis Carlson. Him and I watched the first storm in Iowa for the day go severe. It was high based and had a decent hail core but had no chance of producing.
Dropped south and intercepted the next cell on the boundry, which was a twin of the northern storm, but it produced the first of many gustnado's for the day. Gotta love outflow...
Inercepted the third SVR of the day near Ellsworth and ended up witnessing several Gustnado's! Which unfortunately, was the biggest excitement for the day. Ended up in the middle of a powerful downburst that scattered large pieces of tin through a field and picked up so much dust that it actually came back as reflectivity! Followed the cell to New Providence until it got dark and I called it quits.
On my way back to Ames I cored a cell near Radcliffe and got into nickel sized hail.
Good chase for a day that I didn't expect much!




More Gustnadoes

No comments: