PLEASE DON'T LET THIS CHASE BE LIKE THE NEXT!!! STRING OF GARBAGE!!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

3-23 Chase Eagle, Nebraska







Began the day thinking I would chase up in north central Nebraska, due to school, I could not make it in time for the northern storms to fire. Left Ames around 1:00 and arrived just east of Lincoln just in time for the show to start. I was just a little late for the show but still decent timing. Ended up intercepting a potent cell, just south of Eagle. Literally the first cell that I intercepted so all footage is on the run!  I just updated all my equipment this year just so I remember to use it more!

Anyways, Marcella and I were about 1 mile east of Eagle when the tornado ripped through. My scanner broke on the way so I was unaware of the damage that was taking place.  I had a decent view of the storm, but the inflow was kicking up so much dust it was hard to see anything that was goin on right in front of you, let alone under the meso.

Storms were smoking to the north and I followed the storm all the way to Alvo, before the it left me in the dust... literally..Dropped south to the next storm in the line and witnessed a less powerful but had alot more structure. The Eagle storm was a grinder that did not have much structure.  All in all a good chase.. Back in Ames in time for dinner.

*Here are a couple of video grabs from just south of Eagle looking at the rear flank of the tornado producer for the day. As you can see the tornado was not too visible from my point of view*

No comments: